Friday, March 30, 2012

Ephesians 6:9

Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.


Masters are to do the “same thing”, so we return to the previous verses to see what is meant. Verse 6 instructs servants to do the will of God from the heart, so likewise masters are to do God’s will. The employer is to have a heart of service as well, as if working for Jesus. No matter how high your status you are to follow the principles of God – honesty, integrity, and compassion for your fellow man. Your employees know they are valued, and you have the reputation of valuing honesty over profit margins. You lead through example and gentleness, not through threatening. You reflect the leadership style of your Master – Jesus Christ. You show no partiality with your employees, seeking their best interests rather than your own power. The Spirit controls every aspect of your life rather than compartmentalizing your life into secular and sacred.

Although I am far removed from the corporate world, I am a master of sorts in my home. I lead my children and decide how the household runs. Do I lead with kindness or threatening? Do I have the purpose of serving my children and meeting their needs or am I more focused on checking tasks off my list. Do I reflect the forgiveness and patient teaching exhibited by Christ as He walked the earth? Do I make sure that my children feel no partiality from me? We can all take these concepts and see areas of needed improvement in our own lives.


Make it a rule, and pray to God to help you to keep it, never, if possible, to lie down at night without being able to say: "I have made one human being at least a little wiser, or a little happier, or at least a little better this day."   - Charles Kingsley

No comments:

Post a Comment