Thursday, September 20, 2012

Colossians 1:11-12

11 strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.


There has never been a day when I did not need power according to the might of God! I believe the only real way to attain joyous steadfastness (longsuffering, endurance) and patience is through the power of the Holy Spirit as you walk through various trials. If you never suffered and walked through trials, you could possibly have a Pollyanna-esque joy and happiness, but only testing by fire refines true character.

This has been a year of refinement in my own life. My everyday responsibilities of homeschooling, housekeeping, church, and all the other balls in the air are trying enough, but my Dad's cancer and death as well as other trials that have come my way have given me a glimpse into Job's psyche the day his world fell apart. But through all of this I have finally experience real joy and peace that passes all understanding. I am almost always able to deal with daily situations with a kind voice that is not raised, even when my three year old repeats the same bad behavior for the millionth time that day. I am patient with my strong willed six year old as I try to train her character. Sometimes I am consciously pulling out my “Michelle Duggar” voice to avoid yelling, but it has become almost second nature for me to bridle my tongue. I truly do not worry about tomorrow, knowing that it will bring enough trouble of its own, and trust God to provide the manna I need for today. I have been transformed from a wild child with a temper into a creation that much more closely mirrors the image of God.

Of course I am not even close to being perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect, it’s just that I can see such growth in my own life. Only through the blood of Jesus am I qualified to share any eternal inheritance. Only through the power and grace of God do I have access to my earthly inheritance of walking in His light, truth, and peace. An inheritance is something you are given, not something you earn. Through God’s grace we are grafted into His family, receiving the inheritance promised to Abraham as well as the privilege of being transformed into the image of God from glory to glory through the power of the Spirit.


Ephesians 2: 4-5 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

No comments:

Post a Comment